A monumental milestone recently took place on Boston Common courtesy of the Boston Parks and Recreation Department. Cranes facilitated the re-install of four larger-than-life pieces of the Soldiers and Sailors Monument. The four pieces represent Army, Navy, history, and peace. They were were removed 10 years ago for repair and were returned to their perch on Boston Common on May 29. Onlookers watched as they arrived by truck from Daedalus studio in Watertown where the restoration work was performed.
Designed by architect/sculptor Martin Milmore, the neoclassical Soldiers and Sailors Monument, on top of Flagstaff Hill, is a Civil War memorial in the form of a victory column. At its dedication in 1877, Generals McClellan and Hooker were among those attending, along with two Confederate officers. From colonial to modern times, the hill has been a favorite sledding place for children.
During the winter, several members of the Friends visited the sculptures at the Watertown studio to observe the work.
Restoration work will continue at Soldiers and Sailors into summer, including the replacement of pieces to four plaques at the base of the monument, as well as cleaning.