We asked Sarah Hutt, our Collection Care Manager at the Friends to give us a list of sculptures in the parks we support (the Boston Common, Public Garden, and Commonwealth Avenue Mall) that we might highlight in honor of Women’s History Month. Visit these sculptures by women and sculptures of women to celebrate the month. She also reminded us of this terrific video, Boston Women’s Memorial: A Story in Images from the Women’s Heritage Trail.
- Triton Babies Fountain (1922) by Anna Coleman Ladd
- Tadeusz Kosciuszko (1927) by Theo Alice Kitson
- Small Child Fountain (1929) by Mary E. Moore
- Boy and Bird Fountain (1934) by Bashka Paeff
- Bagheera Fountain (1986) by Lilly Saarinen
- Make Way for Ducklings (1987) by Nancy Schon
- Leif Eriksson (1887) by Ann Whitney
- Samuel Eliot Morisson (1982) by Penelope Jencks
- Domingo Faustino Sarmiento (1973) by Ivette Compagnion
- Women’s Memorial /Abigail Adams, Lucy Stone, Phillis Wheatley (2003) by Meredith Gang Bergmann
We hope you will enjoy these works of art to commemorate this month, and throughout the year. If you have a favorite piece or a story to share about your experiences with these works of art, we would love to hear from you.